Monday, August 31, 2015

Peach Cobbler



Summer time and the kitchen is peachy. After months of trying to find ripe peaches at the market I finally found some freestone ones and have been enjoying them in their glorious, peeled, juicy perfection with lunch. No embellishments are necessary when peaches are this good. Each slice was a small miracle of sweet peach flavor, juicy, just firm enough, each with a little tang to offset the sweet.

So why did I make cobbler? Well, Sweetie pointed out to me that there were four or five large peaches and they were perfectly ripe. Since I had been eating one a day, soon there would be a number of peaches that were over-ripe and mushy and not worth bothering with. The solution was to bake with them and eat the cobbler over two or three days.

For this dessert I tried the Bisquick gluten free mix, adding some butter flavored shortening, sugar, egg yolks (because I had two leftover egg yolks) and vanilla, plus water instead milk for the liquid. It made a pretty nice topping, although very yellow from the yolks. If I did it again, I would either make less topping or use more peaches because the proportion felt wrong. Otherwise, a win! As you can see from the photo, the topping was softly biscuit-y and had nice crisp bits where the crust had browned, plus soft, sweet silky peaches, lightly scented with nutmeg. Summer in a bowl.




Peach Cobbler -GF
Elle's own recipe

4-5 large, ripe peaches - peeled, pitted & slices
sugar to taste - if very ripe will not need any
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated (if possible) nutmeg
1/4 cup water
1 cup Bisquick Gluten Free Mix
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup butter flavored shortening
1/4 cup water (add more if topping is too dry)
2 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Heat oven to 400 degrees F.

In a small bowl, mix the peaches, sugar if using, and nutmeg. Place in a greased 8 x 8-inch baking pan. Pour in the water. Cover tightly with foil and bake 10-15 minutes, or until fruit releases its juices.

When peach baking time is almost finished, mix the Bisquick GF mix and sugar in a small bowl. Cut in the shortening with a pastry cutter or two knives, until fat is in pea sized pieces.

In another small bowl, mix together the water, egg yolks and vanilla. Add to the baking mix mixture and stir with a fork until just mixed. Mixture should be consistency of biscuit dough.

Remove the hot fruit from the oven and dollop the biscuit dough over the hot fruit, distributing over all the fruit, but leaving small places where you can see the fruit, and letting the topping be very uneven.

Bake for 15 minutes, or until topping is golden brown, especially at the highest places. Cool. Serve warm or at room temperature. Garnish with dairy free ice cream, blackberry sauce, or other topping of your choice.

1 comment :

  1. We got donut peaches yesterday, as well as the huge freestone -- they're so big we divide them between three people to go with breakfast -- just a lovely part of a summer morning. I find I get "off" with my peach-to-topping ratio pretty quickly, too, making cobblers with fruit out of hand -- but my response to that, at the end of the day, is usually "Meh, whatever." I like the biscuit-y nature of your crust; I always try for crunch with mine, because somehow I always have "crumble" crusts in my head, I think I actually prefer the cobbler's softness.

    ReplyDelete