Thursday, November 24, 2016

Pies


Happy Thanksgiving!

Although I love pies, especially eating them, I don't make them often...especially not as often as Sweetie would like.

I do make pies for Thanksgiving. My two favorites are pumpkin and pecan. If asked, I don't think I could choose between them.

One thing I discovered this Thanksgiving is that I really shouldn't make pies very often, because I seem to have no self control when it comes to pies...I want to eat the whole pie.

This year I used my Mom's recipe for pie crust but used a half cup (1 stick) frozen non-dairy margarine instead of the same amount of shortening, which meant that the shortening was 1/4 cup. All of the crust ingredients, even the flour, spent some time in the freezer, so everything was good and cold, which helps a lot when you are making pie crust dough.

This was perhaps the best pie crust ever. It was easy to work with, crisp and flaky and delicious.

Take a look at the two pies I made with this pie crust dough. Since both pumpkin and pecan use single, unbaked, crusts, I made one of each. Heavenly!


Its getting late, so I'll post the actual recipe for the pie crust dough tomorrow...just below here.

No comments :

Post a Comment